549. Strong Purgative.--Take of powdered aloes, scammony, and gamboge, each fifteen grains, mix, and add sufficient Venice turpentine to make into a mass, then divide into twelve pills. Dose, one or two occasionally.
550. Milder Purgative.--Take four grains of powdered scammony and the same quantity of compound extract of colocynth, and two grains of calomel; mix well, and add two drops of oil of cloves, or thin gum- water, to enable the ingredients to combine properly, and divide into two pills. Dose, one or two when necessary.
551. Common Purgative.--Take of powdered jalap and compound extract of colocynth each four grains, of calomel two grains, mix as usual, and divide into two pils. Dose, one or two occasionally.
552. Tonic.--Mix twenty-four grains of extract of gantian and the same of purified green vitriol (sulphate of iron) together, and divide into twelve pills. Dose, one or two when necessary. Use in debility.
553. Cough.--Mix one drachm of compound powder of ipecacuanha with one scruple of gum ammoniacum and one of dried squill bulb in powder. Make into a mass with mucilage, and divide into twenty pills. Dose, one, three times a day.
554. Astringent.--Mix sixteen grains of acetate of lead (sugar of lead) with four grains of opium, and make into a mass with extract of dandelion, so as to make eight pills. Dose, from one to two. Use as an astringent in obstinate diarrhœa, dysentery, and spitting of blood.